Keynote Speaker 1: Dr. Maria Coady
PROFESSOR, ESOL/BILINGUAL EDUCATION
Dr. Maria Coady is Professor of ESOL and Bilingual Education at the University of Florida. She received her Doctor of Philosophy degree from the University of Colorado, Boulder, where she studied bilingualism and bilingual education. Her dissertation examined Irish-English bilingual schools, Gaelscoileanna, in the Republic of Ireland. Using a lens of equity, Dr. Coady examines multilingualism, bilingual education, place-based teacher education, and language policy. She directs Project STELLAR, a 5-year federally funded grant that examines rural teacher education for emergent bilingual (EB) students. She is also conducting a cross-national study of exemplary leaders (Ireland, Poland, South Africa, USA) of multilingual students.
Dr. Coady prepares both in- and pre-service teachers to work with emergent bilingual (EB) students in the US and worldwide. She has prepared educators in countries such as Costa Rica, the Dominical Republic, Ukraine, the United Arab Emirates, China, Ireland, and South Africa. Her new books include The Coral Way Bilingual Program (2020), Connecting School and the Multilingual Home: Theory and Practice for Rural Educators (2019), Why TESOL (5th ed., 2018, with E. W. Ariza), and Early Language Learning Policies in the 21st Century (Ed., with S. Zein, 2021). Her forthcoming book (2022) is Teaching, Learning and Leading for Rural Multilingual Students (with P. Golombek and N. Marichal). In Fall 2021 she served as Distinguished Chair in the Humanities and Social Sciences at Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznan, Poland through the US Fulbright Commission.
Keynote Speaker 1: Dr. Michael Gutter
PROFESSOR AND ASSOCIATE DEAN FOR EXTENSION AND STATE PROGRAM LEADER, 4-H YOUTH DEVELOPMENT, FAMILIES AND COMMUNITIES
Dr. Michael “Mike” Gutter is the Associate Dean for Extension and State Program Leader for 4-H Youth Development, Families and Communities for the University of Florida/IFAS, Dr. Gutter earned his BS in Family Financial Management and his PhD in Family Resource Management from The Ohio State University with a specialization in Finance. His research focuses on examining how socioeconomic status, financial education, personal psychology, and financial socialization are related to financial behaviors. His current work focuses on the intersection of finances and health outcomes with emphasis on financial toxicity in cancer patients. Dr. Gutter’s outreach concentrates on improving financial behaviors by increasing knowledge, skills, and access to services. In 2019 he led a national Un-Meeting on rural health disparities among Cooperative Extension Clinical Translational Science Award Programs, and other partners, in Gainesville Florida.
Mentoring and Leadership
- Dr. Tracy Irani - Professor and Chair of Department of Family, Youth and Community Sciences -Department of Family, Youth and Community Sciences - University of Florida
- Dr. Manoucheka Celeste - Associate Professor - Center for Gender, Sexualities & Women’s Studies Research - University of Florida
- Dr. Kakali Bhattacharya - Professor - College of Education - University of Florida
Networking and Professional Development
- Dr. Talline Martins - Director of the Office of Graduate Professional Development - Graduate School - University of Florida
- Dr. Naz Erenguc - Director of Admissions - Warrington College of Business - University of Florida
- Allie Simon - Associate Director for Career Engagement - Career Connections Center - University of Florida
Resilience and Overcoming Barriers in Academia
- Dr. Erik Black - Associate Professor and Associate Director of the Office of Interprofessional Education - Health Sciences Center - University of Florida
- Dr. Taylor Stokes - Associate Director - David & Wanda Brown Center for Leadership and Service - University of Florida
- Dr. Diba Mani - Instructional Assistant Professor - College of Health & Human Performance - University of Florida
Championing Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Dr. Jeanne-Marie Stacciarini - Associate Dean for Diversity, Inclusion and Engagement - College of Nursing - University of Florida
- Dr. Randall Cantrell - Associate Professor - Department of Family, Youth & Community Sciences - University of Florida
- Dr. Rachel Fu - Chair and Professor - Department of Tourism, Hospitality, and Event Management - University of Florida